Central Otago Kindergarten Association
KIA ORA AND WELCOME TO OUR WEB- SITE
As a parent you
are the best judge
of when your child needs
• More stimulation
• Access to resources
• To develop relationships skills with other children and
• Skilled qualified early childhood educators
Kindergarten will provide you with
• The best quality education for
• Support in your parenting
• Guidance and advice over behavioural issues
• Ideas on how to extend your child's world
• Opportunities for involvement in your child's education
What does kindergarten offer?
- We specialise in the
education of 2 to 5 year olds.
- All our kindergartens are all-day
licensed with various operating hours
as found in the individual kindergarten pages.
- We have 100% qualified registered teachers with
a teacher child ratio of 1-10 for over two year
olds plus part time administrators and parent
- We are committed to total quality
education. Our kindergartens are well supported by our Kindergarten
Association and nationally by NZKI so teachers have access to ongoing
support and professional development.
- All our teachers are highly skilled in
delivering the national Early Childhood Curriculum Te Whariki which is
based on the 4 Principles of:
• Empowerment - Whakamana
• Holistic development - Kotahitanga
• Family and community - Whanau Tangata
• Relationships - Nga Hononga
Within this structure children are encouraged to follow their own
strengths and interests.
Teachers provide a snapshot of your
child's learning journey through learning stories which are collated
into profile books. These are a snapshot of an individual child's
learning through play. The profile will incorporate the child's, the
parent's and the teacher's voice.
The portfolio belongs to the family and
can be used for the new teacher when your child moves onto school or
for grandparents and whanau.
- All kindergartens provide a safe
stimulating environment reflecting New Zealand 's bicultural
- You are most welcome to visit your local
kindergarten and meet the teachers before enrolling your child. There
may be a waiting list before your child can be accepted so it is always
advisable to enroll your child as early as possible.
- Parent involvement in your child's
education is a vital key to your child's success and achievement in
Within kindergarten you are encouraged
to get involved in
• Parent help roster
• Your kindergarten committee
• Offer your skills in the programme
• Resource creation